Monday, December 7, 2009

French Toast & Pomegranate


We bought some pomegranates last night at the grocery store. We each set off with our designated list (pomegranates weren't on either) yet when we reconvened, we both had pomegranates in our carts.

We agreed, "great minds think alike."

We made French Toast this morning. Our favorite recipe is from, "The Joy of Cooking."

The Recipe:
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (we use original flavor oat milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of cardamon (something we add for an extra hint of flavor)

Usually we use Challah bread but this morning we just used our everyday whole grain bread we had on hand.

It was delicious.

I've been transitioning things from fall to winter around here...which of course always includes taking down the brown transfer ware and putting up the red. There's a sneak peek in the first picture - but I'll post more soon.

I love the red accents in the kitchen this time of year! It gives the kitchen a nice cheery lift as the cold weather settles in and the sunshine becomes more scarce.

P.S. We also set up the furniture this weekend but still so much to do! New sea grass rug (12x15)isn't scheduled to arrive until December 22nd! For now, I've put down another new sea grass rug (9x12) that is set to go in the dining room. I'll post on things before the 22nd though!

9 comments :

  1. I love the first image - it looks like an old still life painting. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the prettiest of Christmas dishes are red transferware (whatever pattern -- not Christmas patterns) -- and they can be used anytime as well! I decorate with pomegranates but have never eaten a real one -- and there is nothing like classic French toast (with or without pomegranates!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous (and delicious) at your house. French toast is a lifetime favorite that I do not indulge in enough!
    Love the red transferware and yes, the splash of colour is gorgeous this time of year. We got bad snowstorms here all weekend - I could use some red transferware myself haha. It was also -20C at least.
    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned in Israel the Dead Sea Scrolls would not have survived legibly without pomegranites. They were part of the formula in the ink. Without it the ink would have faded away.

    Bought pomegranite vases at the Israel art markets. Happily displayed in my home.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    Exciting all you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I love pomegranites!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pomegranates intrigue me. I saw some at the store today, but didn't have a good idea for them. Too bad I didn't read this earlier. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Trina,

    Your photos are gorgeous (as usual.) I can't wait to see your red transferware up in the kitchen. And I'm still holding my breath waiting for pics of the new furniture/room.

    Have a beautiful week.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Trina! Your top photo is gorgeous! I agee with Leigh, it looks like a still life painting! My neighbor just brought me some pomegranates as a payback for some lemons that I gave her, yet I have only ever used them dried in decorating! How do you get the seeds out? Do you do anything special to them?
    Your french toast looks delish- Dan would love it!!
    hugs,
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never eaten a pomegranate but my Mom gave me a tree about 5 years ago. I planted it and it really took off. I think I'll get to try them next year. Ha I refuse to eat it until mine are ready :) cause they are $3. a pop here in Texas. Furthermore, I just want to say I love your photo!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...