Thursday, February 18, 2010

Our Closet



My lovely friend Joan (For the Love of a House) asked me where we hung all of our clothes and I realized that I never updated our 'after' photos for the walk-in closet. Go here to see the before pictures.

The above vanity is another piece from my Grandmother's house. It goes with the two Empire dressers in our bedroom. Growing up, I remember exploring my Grandmother's dressing room and finding hair pins and makeup inside the drawers. Now I keep my things there, and often as I slide open one of the drawers, I can feel my heart flutter.



The finish on top actually sustained a little damage (perhaps a perfume bottle or two tipped over through the years), but I used my trusty Kramer's polish and once again, it worked wonders.



In order to enjoy the view outside the window, I placed a small mirror off to the side. The original oval mirror that belongs with the vanity is quite large, so we've used it in our entry instead. It had actually broken off the piece at my Grandmother's house during one of the California earthquakes.



We created a 'his' and 'hers' closet. My side is to the right, and Hubby's is to the left. We did a lot of research on what our options would be to hang clothes, and the most economical and functional option was the plastic covered wire shelves that can be custom fit to a space (available at Home Depot). It wasn't exactly what I had in mind (I was thinking lovely built in wood rods with crown moulding...) but it was easy and affordable.

To save on costs, I used two 4x6 jute rugs instead of having a rug custom made to fit the closet. The jute rugs are the same style that I used in the bedroom.



I bought two as-big-as-they-could-be his and her dressers to store ample amounts of clothes in. I ordered these new from our local furniture store as I wanted dressers that were oversized and had big drawers that extended fully and easily.

The only thing that doesn't fit in our closet are my dresses and Hubby's suits. They're stored in the downstairs guest room closet which works fine for us since we don't have many occasions that warrant dresses and suits.

Although I announce jokingly, "this is where the magic happens..." whenever I show friends our closet (neither of us our fashionistas), Hubby actually gets lots of compliments regarding his wardrobe. In fact, there's a coworker who often remarks that Hubby is one of the best dressed people he knows. Just to put this into context, Hubby is a Water Resources Engineer who works with fish biologists and geomorphologists.

Hubby feels somewhat mortified by being identified as a good dresser. His 'wardrobe' is in response to my first few years of struggling to find clothes that fit his six foot four frame (this was a solo effort as Hubby doesn't go clothes shopping). Then one day, my Mother (yes, the mortification increases at this point) discovered the large/tall line at Eddie Bauer and my problems were solved. Hubby is in fact, such a perfect large/tall that I'm sure Mr. Eddie Bauer must have snuck in and measured Hubby himself.


The bench is the latest addition to the closet. I was going to reupholster the Eastlake chair I posted about, but it made the space feel too crowded. I found the bench for $30, and then reupholstered it with the bird toile fabric. My little upholstery project has confirmed, without a doubt, that I have a serious craft impairment. Thankfully, the edges are not visible unless the bench is turned upside down.

We have four reproduction wall sconces in our closet (you can see them in an above photo). There are two at each end of the closet, illuminating the room quite nicely. We found the sconces at Rejuvenation.



Here's a photo with the closet lights on. They make the room really bright!

53 comments :

  1. What an amazing transformation! I love it all-especially your grandmother's vanity table - it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love your closet! how lucky to have a window in there too. i wish i could keep our closet as tidy as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh if my closet could look that neat and tidy. I know it can but someone keeps messing it up, hmmmmmm, who could that be???Great Job! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  4. From dark unused space to bright and beautiful closet! How lovely that you have some of your grandmother's furniture - the table is just perfect by the window. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonder ful room.....I wish I have:)
    Have a good day
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's the prettiest closet I have seen. So much light and so neat and tidy.... what a wonderful use of space. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such exquisite style! :>)
    Beth Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Trina,

    Enjoyed this post as always!!! Loved seeing your closet (let's face it, that does sound very weird, lucky we all know what we are talking about!!). Love the natural light that is in this space and the tall boys that you have stored your clothes in. Kept very neat Trina!! I had to laugh at the description of your hubby and his clothes. My hubby is a farmer and he has tunnel vision when it comes to going into a shop (not very often) and just being focused on what he wants....no looking around, not like moi. Anyway, better go as I've got a lot to do.
    Take care
    Janine
    XXOO
    Tasmania, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful. And, looks so organized.

    The bench is great. I'm craft-impaired, too, but that doesn't stop me.

    All best,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, closet envy! It looks really nice. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trina
    What a fantastic closet! It's also very, very tidy!!
    It's wonderful that you have your grandmother's furniture
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it! We live in a parsonage, which is a home that a church owns and lets the pastor live in. We're grateful to have it, but the master closet is kind of the size of a large coat closet. *UGHHHH*


    I love what you've done...it's clean and crisp and bright with light...pretty much wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a LOVELY and efficient closet! I love the his and hers bureau's...and of course the little desk and stool.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your grandmother's vanity is beautiful~ what a treasure! Closets are a very sore topic for me so I am green with envy. Although I really shouldn't complain because my poor hubby doesn't even get to share the closet with me. :-)
    Love the lights and all of your jute rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning! I'm not surprised that even your closet is light, bright and beautiful! That vanity is gorgeous in front of the window. I've never used Kramers polish - is it like a stain? I need something to remove ring marks off of a mahogany table.
    I also LOVE the box on top of your dresser. It looks like something that came off of an old high-boy men's dresser. It sure does make a statement with all that white. Lovely.....

    Do you even have an ugly room? :)

    Sarah ... painting is almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is inspiring! What a gorgeous closet. I love how you have made everything so simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trina,
    You have such a gift of breathing light and life into what appears to be a hopeless dark cave! All while preserving the past. I had to chuckle about E.B. as my husband is 6'3 and has loved their clothes for years on days no suit is reguired. He also owns a lot from REI...don't ask!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great job on the closet. I love that you have a window too. Great storage in an awkward space. Perfection. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Who ever thought a closet could look beautiful? Yours does! Our house is 90 years old, so we have very little closet space. My husband has his "closet" set up in the basement!
    Great job on your redo,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great space, and your Grandmother's furniture is beautiful! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a charming closet and such a wonderful use of space. Your grandmother dressing table is a really lovely thing to have in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have only recently disovered your blog and I am truly enjoying your decorative talents but mostly I love your appreciation of nostolgia and all things family related. You have a wonderful ability to share those intimate feelings and memories and are a great translator of emotions on to print. Thank you for sharing. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just found you and am loving everything I see so far!! I'm adding you to my blogroll so I can keep up with your fabulousness!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! It's beautiful, everything you do is lovely.

    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your closet is like a beautiful room unto itself! And I love your grandmother's vanity and the beautiful fabric you used on the bench you found! It's all really lovely, I would show my closet to everyone if it was as wonderful as yours!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahhh, there are the hanging clothes!! It's beautiful Trina! Love the addition of your grandmother's vanity! Remember... as Joni says "I don't do clothes... I do houses!!"
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that even though the closet system isnt what you had imagined, it looks great! And compared to my husband, your hubby is a great dresser! I can barely get Jared to wear anything but an old soft t-shirt :-) We just got married so I have alot of time to work on him!

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG! I want to live in your closet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your closet! It's so clean and chic looking, but with a touch of class and vintage in there. I think wood built-ins and crown moulding would have been too much--it's so much more bright and airy this way!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, I was thinking, "I could live in your closet." Then I scrolled down and saw the last comment. LOL. It's gonna get crowded in your closet. ;-)

    Lovely.
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a pretty space. The window is an especially nice feature...most closets are claustrophobic and cluttered...but yours is light, clean, and simple. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have the most beautiful closet I have ever seen. Love everything - you have wonderful taste. xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sigh. Even your closet is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dearest, dearest Trina!

    Envy is the only word that comes to mind. It is absolute perfection. I laugh that I even had the nerve to show my closet to the world. It is incredible, just like you.

    janet

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love to know the name of the furniture company that made your dressers. We need some new furniture for our bedroom because we have no closet space at all. Those dressers would be great!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely, lovely space.

    My 6'3" husband loves Eddie Bauer talls too. He is also very found of http://www.territoryahead.com for their tall/large size.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great closet trina - i have a dresser mirror almost the same, except it has a rounded top.

    Please tell me you had to spend hours tidying it up before the photos??!!!! hehe

    julesx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your closet is beautiful but I keep looking back through your other posts and I've discovered why - everything you've done to at your home is terrific! Wonderful site. I'll be back! Marija

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your closet, especially the little vanity at the end - gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

    I had to laugh when you said your husband wears Eddie Bauer clothes, as mine does too. I remember once I asked my husband what he was wearing when we were going out and he responded "something made by Eddie Bauer". It's become a running joke with us.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Lewismmb, I went through my receipt file and couldn't find my invoice for the dressers BUT I do remember that Overstock was carrying the exact same one. AND I just looked, and see that they still carry them! Here's the link: http://acountryfarmhouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/upstairs-closet.html
    I remember that Overstock was cheaper than my local furniture company BUT my furniture company delivered them all the way up into the closet - which was huge because they're very heavy! Good luck! Trina

    ReplyDelete
  41. Omigosh, I think I have closet envy! Absolutely beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Trina,

    You should blog about how you and Hubby met/fell in love!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  43. i'm married to a 6'4" eddie bauer addict too. good ol' eddie ... those custom hem lengths and shirts with long-arm sleeves have saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just beautiful - I've enjoyed a ramble through your posts and have found lots of inspiration. It's funny how one thing can bring back the 'spark'. I'd been feeling a bit dull about the house until I saw your 'white, wood and silver' post and now I'm off with renewed vigour (two of an old teacher's favorite words!)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have crazy closet jealousy!!! Your home is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Another masterful renovation Trina, without it breaking the bank! MOTH's got the same issues as Mr. Country Farmhouse - he's 6'5", but he refuses to admit it & still insists on shopping in the Average Men's Dept. & leaves 5 mins. later screeching about nothing fitting him!!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  47. just divine ... I think I might kill for a space like that ... le

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fabulous!!! Love the chests....

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi, Just found your blog and stopping by to say "Hi"! Love your farmhouse. You are doing an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. You have a gorgeous closet! The large dressers and the desk are the perfect touches. The little stool you upholstered looks great and don't worry, were not looking at the underside of it. Thanks for sharing! Now I wish I had a unique closet space like that.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I purchased a 1938 Craftsman Cottage and it is a labor of love. Closet space is a never ending issue. I love what you've done with yours.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love, love, love your closet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...