Thursday, June 30, 2016

Shutters



Our shutters have been beautifully crafted by Nate and Darryn for the two front parlors of the house. The stiles will be cut down upon installation. We decided to use shutters in these rooms because we'll need the privacy and there was an issue with being able to mount window hardware due to deep crown molding. But also, we opted for shutters because they are wonderfully historic. 

The rooms upstairs (all bedrooms) will have curtains.  

Also, Mike has completed the installation of the wood floors in the mudroom and the two adjoining rooms. Here is our future laundry room. The washer and dryer will be stacked in the corner and a utility sink will be to the left of that, to the right of the window. 


This is the room that was going to be a workshop. But it's too small and just overall inconvenient as Mike wouldn't be able to set up saws, etc. So the workshop will instead go into one side of the barn and this space will become an office. 

The unfinished wall is an artifact from when the old oil tank was located here. We couldn't drywall behind it at the time so it will have to be drywalled at some point. 

I am so thrilled to have one room in the house devoted to the logistics of 'officing', where printers, shredders, metal file cabinets and the endless paper goods can be put away in their appropriate place. I am actually looking forward to setting the office up and getting organized again. Since moving, our file cabinet has been in storage and it's just so much harder to not have a cabinet to put everything in. 


11 comments :

  1. Wonderful additions to your beautiful living.

    Come visit soon my small cottage living, and country farmhouse living art and designs...

    Interior design
    Designer Estate Model Home res/com

    Xx
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look beautiful. The new office space in the house along with the workshop in the barn, seems like a win-win. I think with all of the work that Mike has done so far, he might need to build a spot so he can relax instead of a workshop, lol.

    I am anxious for a move-in date as I'm sure you are as well. Maybe the next post should be a to-do list so we can see how close to the moving date that we are... everything looks so beautiful that I can hardly stand to wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as the basics and ground work are important .... I m really looking forward to what happens next !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course living in France I absolutely love shutters, not just because they look so good but they are immensely practical too. They keep out the draughts and certainly help with the cold in winter and they keep the house cool in the summer. Often we will half close the shutters on a hot day, so that the room stays cool, our form of air conditioning and it's terribly efficient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful to hear! We watch a lot of English films so we were inspired by the custom of shutters used throughout Europe. It's a lovely look and as you said, so efficient!

      Delete
  5. In the last few years, I have simplified my online reading. Your blog is one of a few blogs I still read. I so enjoy reading A Country Farmhouse. I have an entirely unrelated question: Following your inspiration, I have bought several natural fiber rugs for my home. I am wondering if you vacuum the braided jute and sea grass rugs. My rugs seem to be taking a beating with the vacuuming. Thank you and best of luck as you move closer to your move-in date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen, I have seagrass, jute and braided jute rugs at this point and the seagrass has been indestructible. Are your seagrass taking a beating as well? My seagrass rugs look practically brand new despite their use in the mudroom, which I vacuum more than any other room. For our future house, I will get seagrass for this reason. I've also loved the look of chunky jute rugs but wondering if they're harder to keep clean. Good luck! Catherine

      Delete
    2. I don't have seagrass yet. Very helpful. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I just found your blog, attracted by the post title "shutters." I just posted on my own blog about the use of shutters. They are fabulous! It is quite hot here in the south of France, but when you walk into the house, it feels as if there's A/C (35 C outside and 27 C inside). Thanks to shutters. Cost-free, emissions-free. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful, especially today as the temperatures rise outside. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...