Friday, March 27, 2009

A Beautiful Walk

We set off at dusk for an evening walk through rolling hills.

Usually, we walk down into the valley where the horse stables are. But this night we decided to take our walk up to the quiet fields, secretly hoping to finally get a glimpse of the infamous Gilhouley Elk Herd that have been migrating through these parts for many years.


Last week we heard an elk bugling close by. So close that you couldn't help but watch the fields in hopes that you'd get a glimpse of the creature making so much noise. There are hundreds of elk footprints along our road, on our property and in the fields. But still, we had yet to actually see one face to face.

Until last night.


At first we spotted three along the horizon of the hill. As we got closer, we saw fourteen, and closer still, we saw twenty.
Twenty gorgeous elk grazing under the setting sun. Twenty gorgeous elk gazing at us and us back at them. It took our breath away, to see so many. What a blessing it is to share this mountain with such beautiful, majestic creatures.
It was one of the most beautiful nights of my life.

2 comments :

  1. So awesome that you are discovering and enjoying all that the mountain has to offer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been pouring and pouring through your blog over the last few days... I love it. <--- That, is a major understatement.

    You have helped me finally find the place my heart has been searching to come to.. I mean.. . for the first time ever, I've gotten a glimpse of the perfect balance between style, quality, love, simple living and joy. All of course with a healthy dose of hard but good work... You prove that you don't have to spend a fortune, but you put the money in where it matters and the result is just so, so lovely.

    In my own life, I've gone back and forth wanting and moving into bigger glamourous homes, but they weren't right I found out too late. I wanted something exceedingly beautiful but when ever I got that, I hated that it wasn't something that I could care for by myself (i.e. no house keeper/gardener etc.) I just couldn't seem to find the balance.. until now.. your blog helped so much! And, of course now it seems like the most obvious thing ever! :D

    We're in CA and looking for the right place to buy in the coming year or so and having this knowledge settled in my heart has made all the difference. Thank you. Very, very sincerely. I adore your blog and revel in reading about your journey and what it took to make your home, well.... home..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...