When we first looked at our house, I noticed that the fireplace in the library was sealed with bricks. This is often seen in old homes but I never really understood why. I suppose that there are many reasons. In our case, the fireplace chimney was being used as the exhaust for the front house furnace system.
Late into our renovation, we realized that we would need to update the heating system throughout the house, transitioning from oil to propane. This meant that this hearth could go back to being a fireplace, which made me very happy!
Here's the fireplace after it had been primed as we had been intending to paint it white to blend in with the paneled wall.
Yesterday, our mason Edward started to remove the brick enclosure.
One brick at a time...
As the bricks came away, the flue liner for the old boiler could be seen.
Another old duct was concealed as well. Thankfully, due to this chimney once being a furnace vent, it has a Grade A Liner. So the chimney itself is pretty much ready to go.
There will be some needed repairs to the inner hearth floor however, where the two ducts broke through.
I dream of the day when we are living in our house and sitting in front of the fire. We've been through such a long renovation with so many unexpected twists and turns that sitting down and relaxing in front of the fire will be tremendously symbolic for us.