Thursday, October 8, 2015

New Kitchen Windows


Shortly after buying our house, we spent a lot of time hemming and hawing (we do a great deal of that these days) about what to do with the window in our kitchen. It seemed rather small considering the wonderful view outside but also, rather small considering the size of the kitchen. 

We considered keeping it the same size but changing the style - that would have been easiest. But still, we would be left with the same amount of natural light, which was diminished. 

Once stripped down, we were able to think a little more outside the box. The things we knew we wanted were: 
More natural light 
Windows that fit the period of the house (double-hung)
Windows you could open
Windows that added more historic aesthetic to the room

Basically, we knew that the new identity of the kitchen would be largely based on the aesthetics of the kitchen windows. 

The one limitation or feature to consider in our decision process was that there is a structural post that runs vertically to the right of the window - you can see an outlet squeezed between the old window and the post. 

With all of these considerations and with our very talented old house craftsman Jack Crane (he recommended Nate and Darryn to us), we believe we figured out the perfect solution. 

So the dismantling process began...Here are Nate and Darryn getting ready for the new window framing (this was last winter). First things first, the sill underneath the old window was not in good shape, so that needed to be repaired. There was also some quirky carpentry that needed to be corrected, which they did.

Honestly, at this point, our hearts started to race as we realized just how big of an endeavor it is to put new windows in. 

Mike and Nate are looking at the quirky sill. I can assure you that Mike is thinking, "Why must one thing always lead to another?" 



Here it is further along the way with a repaired sill and reconstruction underway.

Here's the kitchen framed in for the new windows. To avoid the support beam, and to allow for some upper cabinetry on that wall, the new (fourth) window is to the far right. We went back and forth on adding the fourth window but in the end, we knew we'd regret not having as much natural light as possible. 

Our first design had the windows shorter (six over six double hung) and although that looked quite nice, we couldn't help but ask ourselves why we wouldn't reach for the sky (ceiling) and make the windows as tall as possible. Making them taller would in fact coordinate with the other tall windows throughout the house. 

The windows are so tall that they will come all the way down to the counter, a look that I really love. 

The narrow space between the set of three windows and the the new fourth window is where our only upper cabinetry will go on that side of the room. Again, we weighed the pros and cons of trading cabinetry space for window space and the windows won. Because I am so high tech, I did some cutting and pasting which you can see below. 

I have been really drawn to having a very tall cabinet that sits on the counter. I think that this makes the cabinet look much more like furniture, a look I am quite fond of. 

However, finding a very tall and very narrow cabinet at an auction, antique store or Craigslist seemed like finding a needle in a haystack. In fact, I looked throughout the winter and spring and early summer with no luck at all. 


So it was quite miraculous that I happened across one a few weeks ago. It actually fits perfectly between the windows and goes as high as the top of the window trim.The cabinet is an English piece and was at a fraction of the cost it would have been to have something made. All of our drinking glasses, teacups and mugs will go in here.  

So once again, here's the original picture window that was there when we purchased the house. 

And here it is with four nine over six double hung windows, made locally by craftsman Jack Crane and his crew. They emulate the windows in the other part of the house - true divided light, single-paned double hung windows with a storm window, which Jack also made. 

I would like to just mention, for those who are renovating old houses, that having these windows made were no more expensive than going through the main brands you find at window stores. And to find the right craftsman to do a job such as this, you can call your state's Historic Preservation Commission. They will have a list of names to offer you. 

Also, having a single-paned window combined with a well made storm window is as energy efficient as a modern double-paned window. Go here to read more about that. 

Now that the windows are in, we can start assembling the kitchen. It will be a makeshift kitchen that will allow us to move in. Over time, we can decide on more permanent cabinetry which is such a relief because the idea of designing a kitchen without ever having prepared one meal seems quite backwards.

The french doors you see leaning up against the wall go in the dining room - if anyone would like to come over and paint those for us...

51 comments :

  1. It's coming along fabulously!! What a difference those windows make! I just can't wait to see it all finished, but am enjoying the process as well. Funny, but my grandfather apparently said that you need to move into a house first with no walls, figure out how you're going to live in it, then put up the walls, so it makes total sense to see how the kitchen works before doing something permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! We are in the market for replacement storm windows. Who do you recommend? We would like black but that is proving to be more difficult than I had thought. I really enjoy your blog and have been following you for years.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finding nice storm windows is a challenge. We looked into buying some wood kits online to save on cost but now are waiting to hear back on a bid from our craftsman Nate. He said that they are really simple to make, it's just the glass and glazing part that takes so much time.
      Good luck! Catherine

      Delete
  3. It truly made a world of difference Catherine. Beautiful. Oh and tell Mike not to worry, I'll pack Rob's painting clothes when we come. LOL
    Love
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I don't think the husbands will go for that! xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. love the decisions you're making here -and that cabinet is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much enjoy your posts. I only have one problem; I wish there were many many more! Thank you for sharing your home with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I start so many posts and then never publish. It's so hard to have the energy at the end of the day (night) but I will try and do more as it is so much fun to share. It truly helps morale to get feedback on things we've been laboring over! Best, Catherine

      Delete
  6. Hi Catherine,

    I have so enjoyed following along on your renovation journey of this beautiful old house! It's been so informative for people like me who hope to renovate an old home, and I look forward to seeing it after your family is moved in and it's furnished and decorated.

    I sent you an e-mail via the address listed on this website perhaps a month or two ago with a question about your home that I didn't want to post publicly. Just wondering if you've received it. I'm eager to hear your reply!

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you re-send it to me? I'll look for it!
      Apologies, Catherine

      Delete
  7. Your kitchen windows are lovely! I too would love to read more posts, but I'm sure you have a busy family life. It's just that it is so fascinating to read about the renovation of an historic home! There is so much more involved that most of us are not aware of. You must be quite close to a move-in date now that the kitchen is taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a full time mom. My time to post and do other things is mainly in the evenings when the house is asleep. The problem is that - so am I! Thanks for checking in. Best, Catherine

      Delete
  8. What a good decision on your new kitchen windows! The light totally transforms your kitchen. This is exciting to see! I am going to start renovating a not-so-old house (1938) but want appropriate windows. So far I've found that custom wood windows can be extremely expensive. I appreciate your suggestion about the Historic Preservation Commission and will look into it. Thanks! I absolutely love to see what's happening in your house.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my only regret is that I hadn't called the preservation sooner! Good luck! Catherine

      Delete
  9. Have moved into ca. 1900 American farmhouse with original windows. Love/adore them. Beloved wants to replace with 'energy efficient'. Yesterday, a client, in an old house, mentioned storm windows being more efficient than 'energy efficient'. Today, your link.

    I always tell Beloved, do the math ! And, your link gives the math. Bless you. Have already sent him the link.

    You've saved my beloved windows.

    Garden & Be Well, XO T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first purchased our house, our original carpenter told us that if we didn't update our windows to new energy efficient windows we would be sorry. That is why it is so important to work with a carpenter who knows old houses and knows that the old windows are just as efficient as the fancy (very expensive) new ones. And I agree, having the math helps a great deal. I too forwarded it to my husband but he had already read all about it - which is why he has been so enthusiastic about restoring the old ones. I should also mention that we did buy the new windows for our old house. It was more appropriate there however because all of the windows were a mix of different styles. But I remember being quite surprised at how much draft still came through the fancy new ones. Best, Catherine

      Delete
  10. GORGEOUS!!! Love the windows, light, and new cabinet. I was so happy for a new post. I seriously thought of begging for an update just yesterday. :) Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post more! Thanks for checking in Meredith! Best, Catherine

      Delete
  11. Wow! It's looking truly beautiful. Be sure to take a look at "White Flower Farmhouse" on Instagram. Her kitchen renovation is moving along and seems to have the same sensibilities as your projected "makeshift" kitchen. (Although, I believe your makeshift kitchen will be drool worthy!) I actually love the idea of a more unfitted, freestanding kitchen--the simpler the better, although still highly functional. I am of the persuasion that people spend too much on kitchen renovations and beautiful results can be achieved with less. Do you have a projected move-in date yet? Will it be Christmas at you new house?

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike says yes, no matter what it takes, we will be in the house by Christmas. Hope so! But there will still be much to do - painting being the biggest task!

      Delete
  12. ...Oh my, I laughed at loud when you said this: I can assure you that Mike is thinking, "Why must one thing always lead to another?". lol We live in an early log home here in Missouri and in our 22 years of living here, not one thing have we done not lead to something else. We have a 100+ 2 story barn near our home that sadly is sinking to meet her demise. I have tried to set up a charity fund, contact local historic preservation, contact celebrities, sell items I've made to try and save her to absolutely no avail. Unfortunately for our old barn, preservationists have deemed her "historically insignificant", so sadly she doesn't qualify for any assistance. I have been discussing (i.e. "begging"), can we please help save her but my husband comes up with the same line that Mike stated, "do you know all the little unforeseen things that raising that barn will entail?", "if we raise that barn, it will certainly need a new roof!", "do you realize the expense we will incur?!"... Yada, yada, yada... *sigh*

    ...On a lighter note, your windows are gorgeous! I love that you didn't forego making the most of allowing natural light into your kitchen. And how lucky are you to find such a cabinet?! Perfect!

    ...I love that you are sharing this journey with us - thank you. :o)

    ...Enjoy your day and all the idiosyncrasies only an old house can bring!

    ...Peace & blessings. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes "One thing leads to another" is an understatement!

      Delete
  13. What a difference the larger windows will make! Such a wise decision not to cut corners with them, as structural stuff is so difficult to alter afterwards. I enjoy reading your posts so much, thank you for this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, I so agree Meredith. Thanks for the post it truly is lovely seeing the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved your high tech 'cutting and pasting'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. catherine this kitchen is going to be incredible. i love that you've had the guts to do this!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can feel your excitement, Catherine! Knowing your incredible style and taste, you may end up with a kitchen that you love and decide to keep. It's amazing the amount of light that the new windows and white walls bring in, and your cabinet will fit in perfectly. So happy for you and your family :) Deni

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you SO much for sharing your beautiful house. I was despairing that you wouldn't post any more and am thrilled to see your new kitchen taking shape. Your house is exquisite, even now and will be beyond beautiful when it's finished. Best wishes for a Christmas finish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my I love the light that is coming in! And the cabinet is very special! I too have old wood windows, and wouldn't trade them for anything. My husband can make these windows, and does for the Millwork company he works for. Unfortunately most of the work coming in is from Historical govt buildings. I think a real wood window looks so much better than what is out there on the market, and sometime costs even more. I have to admit, I was thinking (and hoping for your sake) that you were so far along that you were moving in. Glad to see a post. :) donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all the natural light and your cabinet is going to be perfect in there. Thank you for posting. I know you are extremely busy and even a shorter post is fine. Your story-telling is well done and fascinating at the same time. Knowing your style only makes us more eager to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Catherine,
    Your remodel is looking beautiful and thoroughly executed, despite one thing inevitably leading into another. Also, I greatly enjoy your writing style; reading one of your posts brings a calmness into my day which I really appreciate. Even with setbacks, countless decisions, seemingly slow progress, and very likely your strong desire to be in your home, you write with grace and serenity, two things so often lacking in our crazy world. Thank you.
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rebekah, That is very kind of you say. Thank you so much. Best, Catherine

      Delete
  22. love love love the natural light! great decision. I have to say that I am living vicariously thru you guys as you go thru this journey. I anxiously await every post! happy autumn! linda r (phila burbs)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! It's looking truly beautiful. I really enjoyed your post. Knowing your style only makes us more eager to see the end result. Thanks for inspiring & for sharing your home with us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the new windows, light can make such a huge difference and your kitchen now looks so bright and welcoming, even without any furniture! The French have a tradition of very dark rooms and houses and we spent a year creating more light when we bought our old French Farmhouse, it is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The kitchen is going to be gorgeous...your decision about the windows was spot on! Such natural light and openness from dark and gray. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, do I understand Mike. I call it the "snowball effect".....which started with a new simple medicine cabinet that led to a $5200 bathroom remodel. I enjoy your posts so much, and it's helpful to know that I'm not alone when it comes to "one thing leading to another." You won't be sorry about the fourth window and as much natural light as possible. It's going to be stunning!

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  27. One of the first things we did when we did our kitchen in Beaufort was add long windows for bringing in more light and for the beauty. Yours look amazing and the light will be wonderful! One thing about remodeling is for sure it's hard to stop...happy weekend, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, what a difference these windows make! Can't wait to see the kitchen done! Hope you can get in soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I absolutely LOVE the choices you made. And that cabinet is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Incredible difference! Love the cabinet you found. It is all going to be so amazing. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the found piece, it's perfect! I'm happy you didn't give up on your idea!
    Enjoy the process!
    A wonderful weekend to you,
    xo,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  32. My, oh my we have much catching up to do! I am slowly getting back to writing and visiting with wonderful bloggers and I'm afraid I got lost for a moment. Silly me. I still refer to you as Trina at A Country Farmhouse!
    You all have been busy busy bees! I see you're still working your magic and bringing fine old bones back to beautiful life! If I was closer I'd paint those French doors for you darling. I was taught how when my parents built years ago!
    Best wishes to you both and your children as well for a beautiful Autumn season! XO

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh if I lived near you I would volunteer to paint the doors just to see your beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous! Your kitchen windows are lovely! I love that you are sharing this journey with us. Thank you for sharing your home with us.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can't believe what you and Mr. Adorable have pulled off with these windows - just off the chart FABULOUS. And for you to happen upon that perfect cupboard, well it must have been the universe saying Catherine, here's the perfect cupboard for you because you've been such a trooper about all these move-in delays AND that Viking double oven!

    With so much admiration for both of you kids,

    Flo
    Amelia Island FL

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the windows and the cabinet! The view from the windows looks pretty nice too! Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  37. Catherine, you were obviously a pioneer in the simply white color trend..... http://m.benjaminmoore.com/promo/color-trends-2016/
    linda r (phila burbs)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Quite a big job actually - when i saw the heading I thought it would just be in and out! Looking fab tho!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...