Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Barn


If you look closely at the floor in the barn, you will notice that it was far from level. This is to be expected of course, but the sag was more than just age, it had a bit of structural problem. 

Over the years, the center post which helps support the upstairs (including the guest quarters), had become shorter and shorter than it needed to be because of the floor sag. You can see the many shims that had been placed beneath the column over the years. 


And this explains why. There was significant rot underneath the floor. 

The former homeowner actually had this fixed for us, which was very kind of him. Our contractor Matt began by opening up the floor to expose the structural weakness. 

And this was the primary reason. As you can see, this post was crumbling into the ground. 

A new post was installed beneath the floor along with a proper footing, as well as other structural components that would allow for two cars to be parked in here. 

It was completely level after he did this. Notice that the center post is in direct contact with the floor once again. 


Here are some of the rotten beams that were replaced. 

Now the barn floor is nice and sturdy once again. This will be especially nice once the snow comes and we can get into the car without having to go outside. I've never lived in a house that offered this luxury but I have no doubt I will enjoy it immensely. 


15 comments :

  1. Love the detail you're putting into your posts , its going to be a incredible journey for us readers to see this house be transformed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the detail in these posts also. Educational journey for us! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you have a new house to transform and am excited that you are documenting it here! Your style is such an inspiration, I love the refined and restrained nostalgic ease that you put into each of your spaces and cannot wait to see how this house turns out. Thank you for taking the time to continue posting here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, didn't include in my first post but I have been following your blog, reading and rereading both your new and older posts, for quite a while now and have never posted before. The barn post reminds me so much of an old detached garage/ outbuilding that my family had when I was younger that I finally had to write to let you know the appreciation I have for your blog. To see the care that you are taking with this house and the care in which you are showing us even the functional/ less aesthetic aspects of the work that you are doing is so nice. I love your posting style, the use of many pictures with fairly short and to the point descriptions, and how, even with less words than most, bits of your personality come through clearly and honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love these detailed posts. I learn so much. This house is going to be a real gem when complete. Having a garage like this will be great loading and unloading the "dumplings" on cold and wet days. Thank you for taking the time to blog. I check here daily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much fun. I love hearing the details behind your renovation. There are so many aspects to redoing an older home, isn't there. You both pay such great attention to every detail. I had to laugh, because here in Southern California, at least where we live, a garage is practically the law. Obviously, we get no snow or ice here and many end up using their garage as storage units!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove the floor! Im so glad you are restoring it. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those old foundations! My husband is learning all about that since our recent move to the South. We bought a "new" home (1997) but the houses he is working on, most have foundation issues. It's amazing how well they have held up for 100+ years, though. Glad you'll have a cozy barn/garage to park in over winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a garage that had a wooden floor?? I thought all garages had concrete floors lol!!! Can't WAIT to follow along with your restorations!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to your posts, I am loving that you are sharing all the details with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That lone post was working overtime! Poor thing.

    Was your barn built the same year as your house?

    Happy October,
    Karla in (dry) CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I have some old photographs of the house and the barn is in them. But not sure if it's the original barn or not. Best, Catherine

      Delete
  11. Is it a fire hazard to have the oil saturated wood from the years of cars being parked in the barn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. We plan on having the floors sanded to just clean it up a bit. But perhaps putting something down to catch car drips afterwards would be a good idea! Thank you. Catherine

      Delete
  12. I'm sure I won't be the only one to tell you that once you have a garage you will never want to be without a garage, lol. I enjoy your posts so much. Love the house!!! What a gem!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...