Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Dining Room

Here are a few pictures of our dining room before we moved in. It's an northeast facing room so it gets most of its direct light in the mornings. The door leads to a small covered porch, which also decreases light into the room. 

This photo is of the west end of the room, and is off of the kitchen. If you place a ball on the east end of this room, it will run towards the fireplace - it's that slanted! 

Here is the west side. The front door of the house is visible through the door to the right. Beyond the small foyer is the formal living room. 

As with the rest of the house, I love this room and planned a few touches to personalize the space while we are staying here - on a budget of course! Among my thoughts from the very beginning were to replace the pressed tin chandelier and coordinated pressed tin sconce (they are being stored for now). I did a post on the sconce a few weeks ago. I absolutely love the primitive attributes of historic homes such as this. In celebrating those attributes though, the pressed tin fixtures do not resonate with me quite as much. 

I also wanted to make the room light and bright and very cozy. I knew that it would be a room for enjoying our meals, but also lots of snacks, coloring, painting, etc. 

Everything in the room except the chandelier, the sconce, the rug and the reproduction Queen Anne table are recycled from our old house. 

The chandelier came from Lowe's because we had a store credit that we needed to use. It was under $100. I added chandelier shades to make it feel a bit cozier, and to coordinate with the sconce I had already purchased (I found a great buy for the shades here). 

The sconce comes from ReStore as I mentioned in the earlier post. The story behind it is that when I told Mike I wanted to replace the pressed tin sconce, he said that we shouldn't spend the money because its a rental house - unless of course, I found something for $8. 

Well, wouldn't you know it, I did find something for $8. It wasn't perfect, a little shiny, but most definitely meant to be. 

We still have a great many of our things in boxes. Every now and then, I'll open a new box but for the most part, we have everything we need (if only I could find my box of vases...). 

I thought about putting our new painting above this mantle but it looks very happy over the mantle in the living room. The painting we used is a little dark, but is a nice size to match the proportion of the large hearth. 


Our old secretary is now our only bookshelf. It holds everything from cookbooks to parenting books. They are shelved as they came out of the box! The cabinets beneath house table linens and overflow kitchen wares (things that aren't used daily like baking tins, etc.). 


The mirror and the writing desk belonged to my Great Grandmother. 

Below the desk, I keep a large wicker basket that holds our crafting supplies. 


The painting beneath the recycled sconce is hanging there because, simply, there was a nail. Its a nail that had several coats of paint on it. 

Although I wouldn't have necessarily thought to hang a painting beneath the sconce, I like the unexpected placement it offers. It's a house that's been lived in a long time - things lose balance and symmetry and just evolve. That's what the placement of this painting symbolizes for me. 


We found the reproduction Queen Anne table on Craigslist. We've had it since November and it has received a lot of use. This is of course where we have meals, but the table is also where we paint, color, make crafts, etc. The blemishes you can see in the finish are where the crafting takes place! The blemishes don't bother us as it was purchased for exactly this kind of use. 

I do think we should rotate it however so that the table is used evenly on both sides! 

The shutters offer so much charm to the room. I will definitely remember the effect for our future house. They were custom built for the homeowner and are just wonderful. I close them when it gets dark (this room faces the street) and open them first thing in the morning. 

The rug we bought from Home Goods is working out quite well. It receives a great number of spills - sweet potato, strawberry, pesto, tomato sauce, etc. and cleans up well. 

Here's a photo with the high chairs in place.

We purchased the high chairs from an unfinished wood furniture store and painted them white. They are on the same side of the table because our dumplings like sitting next to each other. But also, the room is slanted and I'm afraid of placing a highchair on the down side of the table - hence all of the chairs being on the up side of the slant. 

I would consider replacing the high chairs with additional IKEA parson chairs but they aren't available anymore. I have only been able to find the armless version. I've searched Craigslist and Ebay, but no luck. I would love two more. 


With all of the lights aglow. 

We spend a great deal of time in this room. For the minimal budget we gave ourselves to make it our own, we feel pretty content with the results. 

One thing left on the to-do list is to actually have a fire in the fireplace. It is in good working order but the homeowner said that they stuffed insulation up in the chimney many years ago so we would have to pull that out to have our fire. 

Neither Mike nor I have been brave enough as we fear what will come with it! It's too bad because I had visions of cozy meals in front of the fireplace when we first looked at this house to rent. 

To Do: 
Light a fire in the fireplace and have a cozy meal. 


58 comments :

  1. SO beautiful! I love it! Love that it has a gorgeous, antique feel, but that it's a room you also use regularly. Love the light. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, Catherine! And lets not forget those gorgeous Hydrangea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is just breathtaking! And it's a rental?! You have such an eye and the perfect touch to making something cozy, and elegant, and timeless. Love this! Can't wait to see more of the house! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the touch to make a room have life and warmth. Very nice indeed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, I love this post. The house has your stamp on it. If you bottled that and sold it you would be a rich woman. Hee hee.
    Love it, Love your style, Love you my friend.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's turned into a beautiful and homey room. I love it! Is your rug made of jute? I've been told that they're rather difficult to clean. I just bought one for the seating area of our rather large, rectangular living room. I'd rather have placed it beneath our dining table, but fear the stains. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my. so so beautiful. love the little painting hanging on the painted nail. so simple, so perfect. you always always inspire me trina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so interesting to see how you use all of the things from your hold house and what you decided to get new. Beautiful job.
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rug in here is made of jute. It has done really well in regards to cleaning up food stains.
    Best, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely in love with this space. So cozy and full of charm! just perfect!! xo, Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. The room is SO beautiful! You have such a gift to make rooms seem so inviting and cozy. I have got to remember to check out the new Home Goods we now have to search for good natural fiber rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful. Love what you have done to make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only you can make a room look fabulous purchasing a few needed items and budget friendly. Simply beautiful as is your blog. Thank you for sharing! Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm happy to know the jute is holding up well to frequent use. I'm in the market for a rug and I'd like to go natural fiber so I will file this info away. And I love the picture under the sconce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love the simplicity of your style. Simple, yet very elegant. I love reading your posts, you give me inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful as always. I tried to click the link telling where you got the shades but it didn't work. Curious where you got the great deal.....They look great on the chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. as always you have worked your magic. it is a very beautiful yet simple room.

    if i may ask, how long will you be in this house?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine it's as if we live in the same house!!!! Our 1740 saltbox has all the same attributes, painted trim, unlevel wide plank original floors and I've been doing everything neutral to enhance the lines of the home just as you have done. AND our living room fireplace has insulation stuffed up it too (but our dining room hearth is used all winter). So nice to see a relatable space especially when it seems everyone else lives in modern cookie cutter homes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shades were Urbanest on Amazon - five for $20.

    Here's the link again:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCDWI1I/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing. I don't know how you keep that run clean with two kids. I got the same rug 8 months ago and it is already showing stains, mostly from yogurt from my 3 year old. We don't allow shows in the house for the most part because I too like everything white and tan shades. But I had to recently buy a different and slightly colored rug as that one was already looking worn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I am so impresses with this space. It's so relaxed yet refined and chic. You've really achieved a great look.

    ~D @ Bmore Bungalow

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a gorgeous room- so cozy and comfortable, yet quaint and elegant. Love he new light fixtures- certainly brightens the room.

    I am also wondering how you keep your white chairs/sofa and light colored rugs so clean and stain free with two small children. Any tips you can share with us?

    Lastly, I notice you have vases on wood tables. Do you ever get water marks on your tables?

    Love your blog and your decorating style- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!.....love it!!
    only you can use so little and make everything look so great...you just have great style!!!..I just love the hearth and the early hardware on those old doors!...just warm and beautiful as always!
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully put together. A fire really would be a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greetings Catherine, This is just beautiful. Reminds me of my 160 year old home--As I sit here I can see the same gray paint peaking out at me underneath large chips on the door just beside me. And the rich heart pine - mine also sags, in the middle of large rooms and down the hallway, as expected from all these years gone by. Still sturdier than anything and older than anything; though slanted. I don't mind a bit. One other thing ~ If you have a moment, could you please tell me if it is the jute that you said holds up best, especially with regard to stains/dirt and cleaning (discoloration)? Sorry if I am mistaken. I remember you had a comparison in the past. Is your opinion still the same, if you don't mind? I do appreciate it. Kindly, Caroline G in NC

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  27. Decorating on a budget at its best! It's amazing what you can do even without spending much when you have an eye for decorating! The way you placed the small artwork underneath the sconce reminds me of Melissa Rufty's work. Is that rug jute or seagrass?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! You are proving that a rental house can be photo-worthy...the dining room turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The jute rug is holding up to food stains. It is NOT as stain proof as the seagrass as it is much lighter in color. But if a stain doesn't come out perfectly (like a strawberry that's been stepped on), the stain does fade over time.

    The IKEA slipcovers do get food stains on them but they come out of the wash nice and white. I use OxyClean along with my regular detergent and it works wonders. I also spot treat with OxyClean for tougher stains.

    Lastly, we are a shoe free household. We wear slippers throughout the house (most of the time). We started doing this when the babies started to crawl and can't imagine going back. It just feels nice to have a cleaner floor, for so many reasons.

    There are times that a wet tablecloth gets left on the table overnight. Also, with painting, there are a lot of water marks. Some fade, some are still there and I haven't tried to remove them. But I think there are tricks to doing so.

    Best,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  30. I should also add that our snacks and meals are eaten at the table (in the dining room or in the play room). But there are still spills - or handprints from paint and messy foods. However, I think eating at the table is a huge help in keeping upholstery as stain free as possible!
    Best, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Simply beautiful. This is by far the most stunning rental I have ever seen. Please post more rooms- would love to see the kitchen, master bedroom, and living room. Thanks for sharing all of your great tips and decorating skills with us. Please show us more!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful! Call a reputable chimney sweep for safety sake and your sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  33. GORGEOUS! How nice to have the old wood beams, shutters, and that amazing fireplace...so much charm!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  34. SO beautiful and warm. I'd love to craft (eat, read, etc.) in there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You have definitely put your touches on this room, Catherine. It's very charming and cozy. That fireplace is gorgeous, and I can only imagine how nice it would be to have a fire in it.

    Just curious ... How long do you plan to stay in this rental home? Are you looking for a place to buy?
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Claudia,
    We are currently looking for a home to buy but one never knows how long that may take! So we don't know how long we'll be here.
    Best, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  37. You and Mike create beauty where ever you live...this room is lovely.
    I would love to have a fireplace in our dining room. So pretty.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful!....as always. Thanks for the link to the lamp shades. I'm thinking about getting one of our old lamps rewired and outfitted with a new shade....do you recall a good place to do that in the Portland-area? Miss you. -c

    ReplyDelete
  39. Catherine! Yes, here are two: http://www.rainbowlampshadeshop.com/
    and
    http://www.naomislampsandshades.com/
    We will have to catch up soon!
    Best, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm so happy to see a post of a "finished" room in the rental. You have created a very beautiful space, which I knew you would. I love everything about it, sorry, even the slanted floor, I live in an old house also. Happy Home! donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Please tell me you still have that great old solid dining table from the old house and it's just stored away somewhere!!!!! Also, love what you've done with this house. Hard to believe it's a rental.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I haven't visited your blog in a while, so I have enjoyed a feast of catch up posts! Congratulations on your move, you have found a beautiful home to rent and you have made delightful improvements. I'm very interested to know where your unpainted high chairs are from - an online source, or were they local? We recently had our 5th baby and our original wooden high chair is no longer fit for the job. I've been searching and searching for an attractive replacement. Also, I'd be interested to know what kind of paint you used to finish the chairs, I know health and safety are always top priorities for your family. Best wishes, and I hope happy spring to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Dear Petra,
    I linked the high chairs in the post - under the photo that shows them. We used Yolo paint, a great green paint we've just discovered.

    Gerry,
    Yes, we still have it. It's in storage. It just felt too dark and heavy for the room.
    Best,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you - my sleep deprived eyes must have missed that link.... They look fantastic, and a great price, thank you so much for finding them! I've heard of that
    Yolo paint, I'll look into it. I've also heard lots of good things about chalk paint recently, looking forward to trying that out on a project.

    ReplyDelete
  45. your dining room is beautiful - all light and bright but yet so warm and cozy too. a wonderful place to spend time in. linda r (phila burbs)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Härliga bilder :) hoppas att vårsolen lyser lika härligt på er som i GBG idag.

    Jag bjuder in dig att tävla hos mig om ett fint pris :)

    Ha en skön helg

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - inredning it's, Swedish for decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is so exciting! Love seeing photos of your dining room. Also, it warms my heart to see the basket with the twins' things, knowing that you and your husband were on a journey to parenthood that wasn't always easy (and which you've written about openly, or I'd never mention anything so personal). The decorating is beautiful, but that little basket touches me in a different way.

    Take good care, Em

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love the simple-clean look of your dining room. I live in Florida and we have a real-wood burning fireplace but it is too warm - even in winter - to burn wood. My husband bought a fake log stack-you plug in and we love it! It crackles, too. I was not
    happy at first but it makes sense
    now to have it on and not have to worry about turning the a/c lower.
    Very safe for children & pets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  49. A beautiful and charming dining room for sure! I love your design style, and the fact that you did this on a budget is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Agree with JolieAnne-Electric fire because wood smoke is so toxic. Or perhaps clean burning beeswax candles.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm so glad I found you. I enjoyed watching the progress of your 1st house, it was just beautiful. I knew you had moved and was looking forward to seeing what you would do with your new house. It will be fun reading through your post. I'll have to add you to my blog roll so I can see all your progress.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  52. What effortless elegance. Your home taps into my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This dining room is so lovely. Personally, I would have retained the pressed tin fixtures (I have one from Period Lighting in our breakfast room and it is a favorite of mine), but I applaud putting your own design ideas into practice. That is what makes the house yours.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Beautiful space! What is the wall paint color and the door paint color? Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Beautiful space! If you dont mind sharing, what is the wall paint color? And the door paint color?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...