Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Huckleberry Muffins



I realize that I've been posting a lot on food recently. I would say it's because I'm pregnant and food is on my mind quite a bit but honestly, it has more to do with dragging my feet on other projects. Shall we say these have been the lazy days of late summer?

Not too lazy to make my new favorite muffins though! These come from a Blueberry Muffin recipe from the fabulous gluten-free baking book called, " Gluten-Free Baking Classics," by Annalise G. Roberts. Go here to see the book.

My friend Karen, who follows a strict gluten-free diet, recommended the book. We are not a gluten-free household but these recipes are delicious and I think having variety in your diet is always a good thing.


Recipe:

2 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon xanthum gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups unsweetened fresh dry blueberries
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xantham gum, salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Add blueberries; stir to coat evenly.
3. Combine milk and oil in small bowl; remove 1 tablespoon of combined liquid and discard it. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add to dry mixture and stir until just blended.
4. Fill muffin pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.*
5. Bake 18-25 minutes and until light golden. Cool on rack.

* Cinnamon sugar is 2 tablespoons sugar to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

We happened to have wild huckleberries on hand, so we used those in place of blueberries.

I hope that everyone had a lovely long weekend. We, once again, spent our entire weekend working on the house. The upside is that we accomplished a lot and I'll have some after photos of the dining room in my next post!

xoTrina

19 comments :

  1. They look delicious, Trina. Thank you for the recipe!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!! && Your muffins look amazing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm these look delicious....have just come across your wonderful blog through Little Ted Canvas...what a treat! Your style is impeccable and your life seems idyllic....good luck with the wee one.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pictures and they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound delicious! A good friend of our daughter's learned last year she has a gluten allergy. I need to pass this along to her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I have been reading your blog for a while now, and I can't tell you how happy I am when I read these new posts, knowing that you are pregnant! I am so excited for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How yummy!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The muffing look scumptious!
    Have a nice day.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to bake and I can't wait to try these. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious!
    Can't wait to see what you've been working on.

    Sending a hug,

    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a surprise to see a recipe for GLUTEN FREE muffins! I eat gluten free as well and will be baking these this week. Also - love your blog and congrats on your pregnancy. My brother and his wife have 2 year old boy-girl twins and they are a lot of work. I meant to say a lot of fun!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to making these muffins, I'm interested in making gluten free, especially since Chelsea Clinton's wedding cake was gluten free. I'll be using blueberries, since I have 50 pounds of Wild Maine berries frozen in my freezer! LOL!!!

    I have posted some very yummy Stonewall Kitchen recipes that I made for assorted gatherings. You should check them out! I Enjoyed my visit today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Trina!
    Oh these muffins look delicious and I like huckleberries better than blueberries. To me they have so much more flavor. My hubby and I spent the long weekend working on our property also but it always feels good to get something accomplished. Goodness knows we have lots to do on our little farm to make up for what others didn't do for years. It's coming slowly but surely. I'm looking forward to seeing your 'new' dining room. Have a wonderful week. Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy those look good...I've always wanted to try something gluten free just for the hec of it, thanks for providing a sure proof recipe!

    Huckleberries are the best! xo :d

    (can't wait to see the house pic's!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look delicious! Thank you for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohmygoush, i have never had a huckleberry in my life but i will make sure to seek them out and give this recipe a go! congrats on the twins, they are blessed to have such loving parents!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog and also just bought a 160 yo farmhouse that needs much TLC. I am loving looking around at your posts... I also eat gluten free (along with dairy and sugar free). I can't wait to try these, but will substitute almond milk and coconut nectar crystals for the milk and sugar. I will probably also swap grapeseed oil for the canola oil as I try to avoid canola. But seeing how I haven't had muffins in forEVER, these will be great to try - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would you know if I can use a GF pre mixed flour instead of the brown rice flour and Gum?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Kind regards, Catherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...